Monday, January 17, 2011

Why I Want To Teach Mathematics / Purpose of Math



    









     Teaching mathematics is not a very easy job, especially in high school. Math has always been perceived as the hardest subject in school. Mathematics takes students to perceive numbers in a totally different way especially when it comes to algebra, trig, and calculus. Math makes you go "out of the box" so to say and think about ideas in a totally different way. I hear a lot of times that "I will never use this in the real world once I graduate" but to be honest everyone uses math in his or her daily tasks. Without math we would not be able to add how much our grocery bill is each week, how much our bills will be per month, or even how many pairs of shoes a teenage girl has in her closet. We use mathematics a lot more than what we think we do.

      I want to become a math teacher because I want to make learning math educational but also fun. I want to get away from the stereotype that math is hard and show each student that they can succeed in math just like any other subject. When my students leave my classroom each day I want them to have a deeper understanding of math. I want to be not only a teacher and role model to my students but I also want to be an encourager. I want to encourage my students that they can succeed daily and to never give up on a dream. I want to be able to help my students not only in the classroom but in life itself. I am also going to be the teacher that comes early into school and stays late in the afternoons to help any student that has questions about math.




I found a great website that talks about why everyone needs to learn about math and how math is commonly used day to day. http://www.mathguide.com/issues/whymath.html

1 comment:

  1. Please remember your focus on daily applications when we get into 4MAT unit writing. Keeping those connections in mind will make your units much stronger!

    ReplyDelete